How do you use edible flowers?
One way Chef Dan suggests is to crystallize them. But that’s only one way–he’s got a few more great ideas you should check out.
There’s an old saying that April showers bring May flowers. Well, April showers also bring edible flowers.
I brought a few of my favorites in today.
- We have the classic viola, the best-known edible flower. Consider brushing them with a little egg white, dusting with sugar and allowing them to crystallize for a wonderful sweet, crunchy garnish.
- We have marigolds. The bright orange color transfers through fat sauces, adding a wonderful vibrant pepperiness to anything and pairs wonderfully with grilled and roasted seafood.
- We have the beautiful micro star flower. This adds a sweetness. Consider using these in a cocktail in place of muddled fruit.
- Micro sun daisies, peppery and bright just like the marigolds, more delicate textures.
- And last but certainly not least, we have micro orchids that add not only a tropical look but a slightly sweet tropical flavor to any of your springtime dishes.
Contact your Marketing Associate about edible flower availability and adding some to your next order. If you are not a customer, find out how to become one today!
Article submission by Chef Daniel Snowden, the Director of Culinary Development for FreshPoint Central Florida. He has been in the produce industry years almost 20 years and loves getting geeky about food. Follow FreshPoint Central Florida on Facebook and Instagram.
Some tools you can use:
Visit freshpoint.com for our seasonal availability guides—and while you are there, check out the FreshPress, our latest market report. Place your orders online with ease at myfreshpoint.com. Did you know you can receive real-time reliable delivery alerts on the day of your delivery? Activate and subscribe at FreshPoint.com/mydelivery
Download our app and take your produce management on the go. Place orders, review flyers, watch videos…all in one spot!
Find out more details about our UBU program, and how we are shining a spotlight on food waste while making value and food safety a priority.
We buy local to strengthen regional economies, support family farms, preserve the local landscape, and to provide fresh-from-the-farm food to our customers. Local.freshpoint.com connects you to your local farmers like never before! Customize your search by zip, city, state, radius…even by crops and growing methods. Pop in your zip code and learn about our local farmers.
Socialize with us!
Did you know we are on YouTube? Head over to our page and check out our 75+ videos. Don’t forget to subscribe, and also be a part of our Bell Team—hit the little bell icon to get notifications when we upload new videos.